Y’all… When I say I love road trips I mean to tell you I really LOVE road trips. I love going on trips, exploring new places, and really just simply driving just to drive.
Except one thing happens to me as soon as I get in the car… regardless of what I’m doing or where I am going. I get RAVENOUS. I mean everyone knows that right before you head out on a road trip (for fun or work or when you’re just in a pinch and need a snack) that you have to first make a stop at the gas station to get snacks. I practice this almost religiously. It just doesn’t seem right if you aren’t kicking off a road trip with a fresh soda and a pack of candy.
I know that I cannot be alone here.
Throughout my travels and past, I have had to relearn how to navigate a gas station “snack run” to fit more to my healthy lifestyle. Because not stopping by a gas station is NOT an option. I repeat… not. gonna. happen.
Here’s a quick list of those essentials that I always grab when I’m getting ready to hit the road!
- Water (32 ounces): Water is always my first grab. I make myself get one and finish it before I get to where I am going as an extra challenge to get my water intake in for the day!
- Fresh Fruit or Veggies: I know, I know. This doesn’t quite add up to the enjoyment of Doritos and Skittles. But, I have realized that a lot of times, I am not actually wanting to eat bad, I just want to eat. Social eating. My friends are eating candy and I just want to be able to join in on the fun, whether I am eating candy or not!
- Diet Drinks: They’re not healthy (obviously). But, most of us – who aren’t robots – aren’t able to embark on a road trip without a little bit of caffeine.
- Pretzels or air-popped popcorn: These are easy to find and give the grand illusion that you are chowing down on chips.
- Goldfish: Cheesy and they are baked.. It’s a yes for me.
- Baked Chips: Again, y’all know by now… I am only here for the chips.
- Beef Jerky: A great and quick source of protein that can help keep you full for the whole trip!
- Protein Bars: Relatively new to the gas station world and SO important. These help to keep you full and can also satisfy a lot of chocolate cravings. Just read the labels before you commit to one. Don’t eat something with a ton of sugar. Quest is always a brand that I feel comfortable sticking with.
- Nuts: Another great source of protein.
- Dark Chocolate: Lots of benefits come from dark chocolate, one of those being that it can quench that need for chocolate.
- Fun-flavored gum: There are tons of sugar-free chewing gum options that come in a variety of fun flavors! These can help kill the need for sugary candy and help to keep you on track.
- Smaller Packages: Something there isn’t going to be a healthy option, so you can always go with a smaller portion. Sometimes there are a ton of healthy options and you still just want the pack of Starbursts. Whichever is the case, you can always go with a smaller package. You don’t really need to buy the “King Size” even though your mind is telling you that. Maybe don’t purchase the Shareable size if you are only sharing between your own right and left hands.
Hopefully these give you some new suggestions next time you are about to head out on your next adventure!